Welcome to my monthly ‘Happy Highlights’ post, where I reflect on the last few weeks and ask “what made me smile?” and “what am I proud of?”, with the help of my weekly gratitude lists in my bullet journal.
My Happy Highlights for August 2018…
- Took another step on my low-waste journey by purchasing a reusable metal safety razor, so now I don’t need to use endless disposable razors.
- Lots of walks up to Lowe Hill and down to the ford beyond the steam-train-line – observing nature, collecting broken pieces of blue & white pottery, thinking about things… it’s wonderful!
- Visited friends in Bristol, enjoyed some vegan curry and vegan Chocolate sorbet, and melted in the extremely hot weather.
- Also visited family in Herefordshire and enjoyed my parents’ jungle garden – the latest addition is an extended ‘den’ over the stream, which you can access via a slide (up-cycled from an old play set)!
- Went canoeing with Fraz while we were in Herefordshire, on the beautiful river Wye, right alongside where I grew up. I love seeing nature from this unusual perspective, down low on the surface of the water. I also get mesmerised looking deep into the reflections on the water, and imagining the alternative universe below/above…!
- Drawing mini comics for my 365 day art project. I think this might finally be something to take further – combines my love of words, stories and characters, with drawing, and could also be developed to include mixed media in some areas.
- Watching and reading ‘Adventure Time’ cartoon and comics – I love silly things, including most cartoons!
- Reading ‘Watchmen’ graphic novel – a little darker… but I’m enjoying it so far.
- Playing cute, indie, video games – with Fraz (‘Don’t Starve’) and by myself (‘Fez’ and ‘Stacking’).
- Had a lovely date night with Fraz – saw the new ‘Christopher Robin’ film at the cinema, and got vegan pizza at our favourite place.
- Finished ‘Anne with an E’ season 2 on Netflix – the last few episodes were just so stunning, especially Aunt Josephine’s party.
- Also reading ‘Anne of Green Gables’ – I just adore Anne’s character, she is so romantic and enthusiastic!!! I also love how it’s set in the time of baking your own bread and sewing your own clothes, and it’s making me want to bake and sew more.
- Enjoyed having an extra day with Fraz for the bank holiday. We went to the Jodrell Bank Discovery Centre, home to the 3rd largest steerable radio telescope in the world – ‘the Lovell Telescope’ – which was extremely impressive to see and learn more about.
- Made vegan Welsh cakes! These were actually one of my favourite treats in the days P.V. (pre-vegan!); the ones I made from Avant-Garde Vegan‘s recipe are literally just as delicious and are SO good fresh out of the pan!
- Sent cute packages to my mum and niece for their birthdays – I love digging through my hoard of papers, ribbons, tapes and other supplies, and putting together something to make someone smile.
- Listened to Frannerd on Andy J. Pizza‘s ‘Creative Pep Talk’ podcast – two of my favourite people in the creative world right now, talking together and sharing awesome advice! Wow!
- Noticing early signs of Autumn and enjoying the cooler, crisper days towards the end of the month.
For September I hope to make lots of progress with my creative goals; stay tuned for more blog posts, Instagram content (including my 365 day project), and *fingers crossed* a re-launch of my Etsy shop!
Have a brilliant day and stay creative!
Peace and love,