Today I would like to share my favourite moments from the month of May. It’s been a fun-filled few weeks, with so much sunshine! How was May for you? Read on to see my Happy Highlights list, plus a few thoughts and updates…
My Happy Highlights for May 2018…
- Enjoyed a lovely ‘artist date’ morning looking around Leek Open Studios, as part of Leek Arts Festival. I always love open studio events, and look forward to taking part in one myself in the future!
- Took part in my first ever market in Leek: the Sunday Supplement organised by the Totally Locally Leek team. I had a good experience, and with the new products I’m creating at the moment, I can’t wait to take part in more markets this year.
- Went for a walk up Shutingsloe in Macclesfield forest with Fraz on a wonderful warm day.
- Had a cute cinema and pizza date with Fraz; this is fast becoming a monthly special treat for us!
- Bought a reliable, accurate and easy to read digital watch to help me stay on time, and get used to how long things take, so I can really get on top of everything… hopefully!
- Started taking deliberate days off, trying to get a better work life balance, and create a clear break between the two, as they often merge into each other. This is definitely a work in progress, but it helps to be able to actually stop sometimes.
- Joined Gallery Twenty; a local collective based in the beautiful, cobbled, Victorian alleyway/courtyard ‘Getliffe’s Yard’ here in Leek. I’ve been there for almost a month now, and I already feel like part of the team, with my own responsibilities, and I’m slowly adding more of my work/products to the shop, which I’m excited to share with you online!
- Adventured out on a long solo walk from Leek to Coombes Valley Nature Reserve, then to the Cheedleton station for the Churnet Valley Railway, and headed back home along the canal. These long walks are also becoming an essential monthly solo-date for me to take some time out and explore! Did you read my post about my Roaches adventure in April?
- So many days of amazing sunny weather and eating outside, which is always so much nicer than sitting inside.
- Taking part in a business course with Gallery Twenty, which is making me feel a little more positive about money, and more realistic about my dreams and goals. We’ve got lots more sessions left, so lots more valuable information to absorb and put into action.
- Had a fun night out in Leek with Fraz and one of our friends from Bristol, later joined by Fraz’s Dad and his friends! We even visited Leek’s new nightclub which has a light-up dance floor…!
- Towards the end of the month, after lots of research and consideration, I finally got myself a good quality printer so that I can make all the products I’ve been dreaming about!
So that was May in my world! What happened in yours? Did you have any big adventures? Small victories? A special moment to remember? Why not share your story with us in the comments or over on Facebook and Instagram? I’d love to hear from you!
In other news: a few thoughts and updates…
I made a lot of promises to myself recently, (and shared a few of them with you), and I feel like I’ve failed: I said I would launch a newsletter, and I haven’t; I said I would be doing live portrait drawing, and I didn’t; I said I was working on a new illustration of Björk, which was actually for a competition deadline, and I missed it.
Part of me thinks I’ve taken on too many commitments.
Another part of me says get your act together and start showing up for yourself! Never mind what anyone else thinks; what do you think? What do you think of yourself for cancelling events and missing deadlines?
With this comes a need for balance. I don’t have too many commitments, I just let them spill into every corner and crevice of my life, so that I never focus, but I also never switch off. I am also trying to become more aware of the inner and outer cycles of life; the seasons, the phases, the energy levels. When we get in tune with these, we can work with our natural rhythms, instead of against them.
I’ve already made a few changes. And these are changes that I may decide to change again next month, or in a year, or after ten years. Changes should always be for the better, but they don’t have to be forever.
For now I’ve decided not to launch a newsletter after all. I’m also only going to post blogs on Fridays, plus these Happy Highlights/month review posts on Sundays once a month. As much as possible I’m avoiding social media at weekends, and also using a scheduling tool for Gallery Twenty’s posts; this is actually really satisfying, as I can get a whole week’s worth of posts done in a couple of hours!
Then there’s all the ‘real world’ stuff. I’m still doing my 365 day challenge (even if I don’t share the artwork every day), and I’m currently closing in on my final 100 days! Wow! I’ve been reading a lot; diving in and out of multiple non-fiction books, as well as slowly making my way through the Harry Potter series for the first time…! Plus podcasts, videos, music and films. Singing and dancing. Walks out into nature and taking photos of all the pretty flowers! Piles of notebooks with lists, plans, notes, ideas. Sketchbooks full of work. A commission that keeps getting put to the side, is finally almost done. New products coming into reality… Things are actually going well.
Speak soon sisters, and remember to share your happy highlights from May in the comments or on social media. Stay creative!
Peace and love,