Welcome to my monthly review and round-up of all the good things I’ve experienced and achieved in February. Below is my list (in no particular order) of ‘happy highlights’ from both my Sunray Sister world and personal life.
All together it has been a very snowy and creative month, in which I…
- Celebrated five years of being with my boyfriend Fraz!!!
- Enjoyed watching ‘Coco’ at the cinema, as well as ‘The Marvelous Mrs Maisel’ and ‘Witless’ on T.V.
- Felt very wintry and magical after a LOT of snow!
- Walked around Trentham gardens with Fraz, and enjoyed delicious vegan pies at Pieminister.
- Celebrated Fraz’s birthday; somehow I managed to cook an awesome vegan fry-up and bake vegan brownies, and Fraz made vegan burgers. Yum!
- Taught my first ever piano student! Hopefully lots more students will follow.
- Created and uploaded two YouTube videos: Origami Pen Pal Letter Tutorial and Watercolour Valentine’s Card Tutorial.
- Started a special client illustration project.
- Found some second-hand tubes of Winsor & Newton watercolour paint in the charity shop!
- Spent a lovely weekend with my parents, who visited us! I especially loved our outdoor adventures; first to Rudyard lake, and then to the Roaches.
- Started using the Pomodoro technique, which is helping me to manage my time more efficiently.
- Visited the Whitworth art gallery in Manchester with Rosie, Eloise & James. It was great fun, and I did some scribbling in a sketchbook which I feel like I haven’t done for ages!
- Signed up for a two month Skillshare trial for 70p! I’m going to follow a couple of courses on there specifically to learn more about editorial illustration. I also got a new book (using a birthday gift-card), called ‘Becoming a Successful Illustrator’ by Derek Brazell and Jo Davies. I already love it; feels like a textbook for the art degree I never did!
My new theme for my 365 day challenge is interiors. This means I will be drawing/painting/illustrating any kind of inside space, both real and imagined, every day. I also intend to experiment working digitally and incorporating previous work in a collage style, as shown in the first two days’ pieces below.
Overall in March I aim to:
- Promote my new piano/music tutoring service, and gain some new students
- Promote my portrait commission service more
- Finish the current client project I’m working on
- Do some additional personal projects to fill my portfolio – use Skillshare and new illustration book
- Register as self-employed and get some proper business things sorted
- Take a break from YouTube/put less pressure on uploading regularly for now
- Celebrate the official start of Spring!? (even though there is still snow everywhere!)
I was considering starting an email newsletter, where I would share monthly news like in this blog post. Would you enjoy reading that? Would you sign up? Let me know!
Speak soon, stay creative sisters!
Peace and love,